Monday, November 28, 2011

Police dogs get preferential treatment, too

| »
Police dog
Police dog

Dog gets loose and attacks an eight-year-old boy in the presence of police officers:

The boy, Patrick Assion, was visiting his grandmother’s house in Campbell and playing hide-and-seek with his cousin in the backyard when Storm took hold of Patrick’s arm and dragged him to the ground.

The incident left the boy three physical reminders of the attack: a red mark on his arm, a T-shirt full of holes and a torn-up sweat shirt.

[…]

“When I turned my head, it already got snatched onto my arm and threw me down to the ground and started ripping my jacket,” the boy told 21 WFMJ-TV, The Vindicator’s broadcast partner.

“I heard my cousin Patrick scream, and so I ran around the house and I saw the dog tearing up his coat,” Ali Darwish said.

I think we all know where this is going

Oh, wait – it was a police dog?

Um, well then, in its defense, let’s hear about the dog’s exemplary service record!

Police say the Friday attack of the department’s police dog, Storm, on an 8-year-old boy was an unfortunate accident, but Storm has done much more good than bad during his time with the department.

[…]

An off-duty Campbell police officer was walking Storm and allowed the dog to go to the bathroom in a fenced-in area. But the dog saw the boy and ran after him, apparently mistaking a running boy for a suspect.

[…]

“He has caught three armed robbers. He has located numerous amounts of drugs. He has tracked down suspects. He’s been a vital, vital part of our police department,” [Sgt. John] Rusnak said of the dog’s history.

Looks like the Pact of the Brotherhood in Blue doesn’t just apply to humans.

Now, to be clear: I am definitely not saying that the dog should have been put down; far from it. I don’t believe animals should be slaughtered for hurting human beings any more than any person charged with assault should. Only those who pose a real and constant threat to people around them should be dealt with, though I’d still prefer some sort of forced restraint or confinement rather than outright killing them (again, same with people).

But that is not the point. It’s just interesting – and important – to point out the clear distinction between what occurs when a dog attacks someone based solely on whether or not that person owns a police badge.

(via The Agitator)