Thursday, October 28, 2010

Daily Blend: Thursday, October 28, 2010

| »
Rep. Jean Schmidt (R-OH)
Rep. Jean Schmidt (R-OH)

Allow me to bitch for a few moments. Watching my bandy-legged cat alternate between limping around and hiding under my bed whilst bleeding from her paws has confirmed to me two things. First, I am never having another pet of mine declawed again, which means I’ll never have another cat so long as I live at my mother’s. And second, I am now relatively certain that my mother and godmother, as much as I love them, (and probably most other people) have no idea what “choices” or “fair” are. Forcing me to “choose” between one dreadful option or another – ie. having my kitty declawed against my will or not having her at all – is not within the same realm of existence as “fair”. It is pure and blatant coercion. Especially when they use arguments as dimwitted and demonstrably false as the ones they brought up regarding my cat as an individual.

Okay, bitching over. Now on to your links, my crossbow-wielding cherubs.

  • For all you supporters of the War on Drugs who think “getting tough” is the way to deal with this: First look at this heartbreaking (and extremely NSFW/graphic) imagery of the effects of escalating drug-related violence in Mexico. Then, tell me if your moral center has been realigned yet.
    (via The Agitator)

  • Rep. Jean Schmidt [pictured] (R-OH) apparently thinks it’s entirely appropriate to preach about “the killing of a child before it is born” to first-graders (6-year-olds).

  • Fox News still trumpeting GOP falsehoods about healthcare reform that actual experts dismiss in seconds.

  • Suffering from the severe state budget crunch, Indiana social workers encouraging parents to leave heavily disabled people at homeless shelters rather than go bankrupt trying to care for them. Or, in which the lost public option sings us a sad tune.
    (via @todayspolitics)

If you have any story suggestions, feel free to leave them in the comments or send them in.