Friday, October 16, 2009

Another Christian blog forced out, another voice of delusion silenced

| »

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not the type to indulge in schadenfreude. But I can’t help but feel anything from indifferent, to a bit satisfied, to hear that who has perhaps turned out to be my favorite crank, Pastor Tom Estes, is shutting down his blog for good. Speaking of which, the reasons he cites for doing so are remarkably ironic:

Instead of waking up each day being motivated to write about the wrongs in our society, whether it be on the far left or in the atheist community, I now wake up feeling like I have homework to do. The motivation is just gone.

And to be honest, I'm not sure why. But more than likely, it's just boredom. I'm no longer all that intrigued by Pharytales, or Helga's Battle-ax, or the NotSoFreeThinker, and I think the reason for the that is because they are so repetitive in nature. Basically what they do everyday is criticize rational Christians, and for a while it made me angry, then I found it amusing, but now it's just tired. After reading sites like these for a while I honestly don't know how atheists[1] can be intrigued by the constant repetition we find on most atheist blogs.

Now, just a few edits later …

Instead of waking up each day being motivated to write about the wrongs in our society, whether it be on the far left right or in the atheist religious community, I now wake up feeling like I have homework to do. The motivation is just gone.

And to be honest, I'm not sure why. But more than likely, it's just boredom. I'm no longer all that intrigued by Pharytales Ray Comfort’s blog, or Helga's Battle-ax the WorldNutDaily, or the NotSoFreeThinker Vox Day’s crackpottery, and I think the reason for the that is because they are so repetitive in nature. Basically what they do everyday is criticize rational Christians people and events, and for a while it made me angry, then I found it amusing, but now it's just tired. After reading sites like these for a while I honestly don't know how atheists[1] can be intrigued by the constant repetition we find on most atheist conservative blogs.

… and we have what I suppose is the most likely reason for which I may eventually end this blog. Though, I still find myself constantly baffled, outraged, intrigued and plain entertained at all the ridiculousness, silliness, dishonesty, hypocrisy, stupidity, vileness and general nonsense that this world (and especially the far-right aspect of it) is filled with, so that’s a virtual guarantee that I, for one, am not about to close shop any time soon.

As we bid a teary-eyed, white-handkerchief-waving farewell to Pastor T.Estes, I cannot resist one last little bit of sniping (who can?):

I also want to make very clear how honored I am that so many people have made me a part of their day. Even though most Christians kept quiet, which I didn't want them to do, and most atheists wouldn't be shut up even for a second, also not what I wanted, but I do appreciate your taking the time to visit as often as you did. [My emphasis]

Well, there you have it, Tom. If you want to spread your opinions, beliefs and commentary on a public blog, you gotta be okay with the fact that you are gonna be read, and replied to, by plenty of people who may not agree with what you say, and who may wish to correct the falsehoods you spread. Such is especially the case when you go on rants regarding subjects you so obviously know absolutely nothing about, or launch into ridiculous bigoted screeds, or present commentary on articles you haven’t even bloody read, and much less understood.

The blogosphere is no place for sissies or the thin-skinned. If you’re gonna present yourself to the over-critical and anonymous online world, always come with your fire-retardant suits, body armor, and safety goggles. Otherwise, you may well be in for a rough ride, as Pastor Tom arguably discovered, to his dismay.

And now, I gotta find another blog filled with vileness, crankery and/or stupidity to fill in the third slot in my negative blogs section (right under “Blogs of Note”, in the right sidebar). I’d put the WND, only it ain’t a blog, as far as I’m aware of.

[1] I’ll go out on a limb, here, and assume he meant to say “Christians”.