Tuesday, August 25, 2009

More backing testimonials about America's Christian military – and a hint of worse things to come

| »

A few days ago, Ed Brayton posted an eMail he'd been sent from the Military Religious Freedom Foundation (which I then covered) from a Captain who'd been forced to go through all sorts of loathsome Christian religious shit, from forced to eat food he doesn't want, to attending "voluntary" (which is code for "mandatory") prayer sessions, and then being accused of just wishing for his comrades' deaths when he refused to do so. As horrible as that story is, it's now even being confirmed by another officer, who came across Ed's post and then sent him an eMail:

I am another officer in our Christian military. I am currently serving in Baghdad and came across your post. I couldn't agree more with what was said. It's a sad state that I never expected when I signed up, and is one of the factors that has contributed to my decision to leave the military next May when my commitment runs out.

As revealing as that is, it's just a small excerpt of the full eMail. As it turns out, it's quite a bit longer in full, and includes a picture Ed chose not to display for reasons he best states himself (and this is seriously noteworthy):

But now we've got evidence of even more than that. I'm not going to reveal what it is now because I have forwarded it on to the Military Religious Freedom Foundation and I am going to allow them to go public with it first and use it first for their work behind the scenes with Pentagon officials. Suffice to say that they got very, very excited about the picture that I sent them. I got an immediate response saying, "You have no idea how important this is and how perfect the timing is." So stay tuned. Hopefully before the end of the week you'll have all the details.

You've already got me hooked, Ed. But I gotta say – what more could we learn that isn't already known about the military's horrendous Christian leanings and proselytizing? We've got testimonials, news reports, all that stuff ... What the hell could be even worse? I, for one, await the reveal with anticipation – and a certain amount of apprehension.

(via Dispatches from the Culture Wars)

Technorati tags: · · · · ·