Monday, March 11, 2013

Ray Comfort “detests religion”

| »
Ray Comfort
Ray Comfort

Noted preachy Christianist Ray Comfort apparently takes exception to being called by his proper label:

Call me ugly, stupid, short, weird, an idiot, or just plain ignorant. Call me anything you want, but please, oh please, don't call me "religious."

I detest religion. It has caused multiple and tragic wars throughout history. It comes in second, after atheistic communism which is responsible for more than 100 million deaths.[Myth A17] I'm pleased to say that I don't have a religious bone in my body. I don't believe that anyone can obtain eternal life by being religious, or by doing religious works (what are often called "good works"). I am a sinner, saved from damnation by the grace and mercy of God, and I am proud to be called a "Christian" because I am a follower of Jesus Christ. I believe that eternal life is a free gift of God that comes through sincere repentance towards the God we have offended and trust alone in the Savior, as taught by the Scriptures.

Um …

re·li·gion [ri-lij-uhn]
noun
1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
2. a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.

Sorry, Ray, but just as reluctant self-styled agnostics can’t reasonably (or accurately) declare they hold no positive belief in any deities whilst rejecting the label of “atheist”, Bible-thumping Godbots who devote their lives to (literally) preaching their pet faith don’t get to avoid the mantle of “religious”, least of all due to some sort of guilt by association. It’s also somewhat perplexing for you to claim a distinction between being granted eternal (after)life by “being religious” and by being “a follower of Jesus Christ” and putting your faith in scripture.

The dictionary (an actual higher power!) hath spoken on this one.