Monday, July 02, 2012

Anderson Cooper comes out: “The fact is, I’m gay”

| »
Anderson Cooper
Anderson Cooper

Andrew Sullivan publishes the long-awaited (by some) and expected (by all) announcement on his blog:

The fact is, I'm gay, always have been, always will be, and I couldn’t be any more happy, comfortable with myself, and proud.

I have always been very open and honest about this part of my life with my friends, my family, and my colleagues. In a perfect world, I don't think it's anyone else's business, but I do think there is value in standing up and being counted. I’m not an activist, but I am a human being and I don't give that up by being a journalist.

I’ve long opposed myself to the annoyingly common practice (even amongst LGBT circles, who – of all people – really ought to know better) of trying to determine the sexual orientation of various public figures based solely on their appearance or mannerisms. But even so, Cooper’s closet was likely one of the draftiest ever, and I don’t think anyone anywhere would be seriously surprised by this.

Then again, as Cooper himself states, in ideal world, they wouldn’t be “surprised”, and nor would anyone else, at a declaration that’s essentially equivalent to declaring that you prefer redheads over blondes. As usual, it’s our stupid, fickle society that dictates the terms of one’s revelations of personal matters and the reactions they garner, as opposed to them being evaluated on their own merits.

I’m probably overthinking it at this point, so: Good on Anderson for coming out and being unafraid to embrace reality, something that’s long given him the sort of integrity and credibility that few other journalists can truthfully claim to possess.

(via @VeritasKnight)