Thursday, June 21, 2012

“Thank God I was raped”

| »

This is easily one of the best – by which I mean worst – examples of how deeply religion can twist one’s mind that I’ve yet seen. Here are four minutes of several people proclaiming their gratitude to God for all the horrible things that have happened to them, including being raped, losing their husband and being anorexic, while many more lines appear on-screen, such as losing a baby, having cancer or being addicted to drugs, because the “The Secret is to become Thankful for Everything” (random caps included) because that’s “the key to unconditional love”:

Quick question: If God’s love is unconditional, then why do people need to force themselves to draw up silver linings in their traumas in order to earn it? Not too clear on that.

What’s even weirder is that lines like “Thank God I am gay” or “am a virgin” also appear in the midst of all those tragedies. ‘Cause those are bad things. I mean, know I find it hard to tell who I should care about more – homeless stroke victims, or people who haven’t had sex yet …

(via Dispatches from the Culture Wars)