Monday, March 08, 2010

Farewell IntenseDebate – hello, Disqus Update: Back to ID

| »
Preliator

UPDATE: (03/09/10 1:30 AM) – Okay, ignore everything from this point on. I’ve reverted back to IntenseDebate – Disqus didn’t have anything for which I actually wanted to have it in the first place (such as a preview feature, working trackbacks, customization, etc.), and at least ID worked. So, there, that’s it for that clusterfuck.

As anyone who’s been on the blog at any point in the past few hours will have noticed, I’ve changed the commenting system. IntenseDebate was good and all, but not without flaws – the lack of any trackbacks being a major one of them. So, I went for its rival, Disqus. The functionality is more or less the same, with a few improvements here and there (such as trackbacks).

However, there seems to be a few problems with its integration, and I’ve been going nuts these past few hours trying to figure it all out. They’re mostly small issues and glitches, nothing exactly critical, but still enough to prove annoying. I’m hoping to get them all fixed soon enough so I don’t wind up wishing I’d left well enough alone.

And, before anyone frets: all of the previous comments made before the transition have been saved and imported into Disqus. It’s not a perfect transition as there are a few glitches, such as with special characters, but at least records of past discussions are still there.

Now to huddle up in my chair and suckle my thumbs until customer service gets back to me. (I really hate glitches.)