Wednesday, October 21, 2009

WWII vet on gay rights: “What do you think I fought for in Omaha Beach?”

| »

Below is a speech given by a World War II veteran at a hearing for Main’s marriage equality bill on April 22, 2009. The whole speech is wonderful and is well worth a listen, but the real clincher comes at the 1:30 mark:

‘I am here today because of a conversation I had last June when I was voting. A woman at my polling station asked me, “Do you believe in equality for gay and lesbian people?”. I was pretty surprised to be asked a question like that. It made no sense to me. Finally, I asked her: “What do you think I fought for in Omaha Beach?”.’

What a great man. That is all I can say. Arguably one of the few people whom, should I meet them, I would be honored to shake their hand.

(via @VeritasKnight)
Technorati tags: · · · ·