Saturday, October 20, 2012

Preacher gives typical anti-gay speech … or not

| »

Pastor Phil Snider of Brentwood Christian Church in Springfield, Missouri attended a city council hearing back in August to rail against the city’s anti-discrimination law for including protections for LGBT folk. It’s all the same crap we’ve heard ten million times before – fear-mongering about special rights and the end of society as we know it and so on … until he appears to realize just how unoriginal he sounds. And what happens next makes the entire three-minute video entirely and epically worth it:

Transcript: (click the [+/-] to open/close →) []

REV. PHIL SNIDER: Good evening. My name is the Rev. Dr. Phil Snider. I was born and raised in Springfield, Missouri, and I stand before you this evening in support of this ordnance.

I worry about the future of our city. Any accurate reading of the Bible should make it clear that gay rights goes against the plain truth of the Word of God. As one preacher warns, Man and over stepping the boundary lines God has drawn by making special rights for gays and lesbians has taken another step in the direction of inviting the judgement of God upon our land. This step of gay rights is but another stepping stone toward the immorality and lawlessness that would be characteristic of the last days.

This ordnance represents a denial of all that we believe in and no-one should force it on us. It’s not that we don’t care about homosexuals, but it’s that our rights will be taken away, and un-Christian views will be forced on us and our children, for we will be forced to go against our personal morals.

Outside government agents are endeavoring to disturb God’s established order. It is not inline with the Bible. Do not let people lead you astray.

The liberals leading this movement do not believe the Bible any longer. But every good, substantial, Bible-believing, intelligent, orthodox Christian can read the word of God and know what is happening is not of God.

When you run into conflict with God’s established order, you have trouble. You do not produce harmony. You produce destruction and trouble and our city is in the greatest danger than it is ever been in its history.

The reason is that we’ve gotten away from the Bible of our forefathers. You see the right of segregation – I’m sorry, hold on.

The right … of segregation is clearly established by the holy scriptures … both by precept and example …

[One minute]

I’m sorry. I’ve brought the wrong notes with me this evening. I’ve borrowed my argument from the wrong century. It turns out what I have been reading to you this whole time is direct quotes from White preachers from the 1950s and the 1960s, all in support of racial segregation.

All I have done is simply take out the phrase “racial integration” and substituted it with the phrase “gay rights”. I guess the arguments I’ve been hearing around Springfield lately sounded so similar to these that I got them confused. I hope you will not make the same mistake. I hope you will stand on the right side of history. Thank you.

(To be honest, his introduction kinda gave away the punch for me, but your mileage may vary.)

You know what? I’m perfectly fine with him being a preacher. It’s not ideal, perhaps, but it beats the ever-loving hell out of the parasitic charlatans we have to deal with on a much more regular basis. Our world could do with a few less Pat Robertsons and a few more Rev. Sniders.

(via @BadAstronomer)