Thursday, February 23, 2012

Trailer: ‘Bully’

| »

Oh, pleasant memories:

My transcript: (click the [+/-] to expand/collapse →) []

Trailer summary:

A young boy named Tyler faces violent bullying at school, including having his head slammed into lockers, which his parents are worried about. Tyler explains he feels nervous at school; he likes learning, but has trouble making friends. (Insert: “13 million kids will be bullied in the U.S. this year”) We see Tyler being punched and picked on in the bus and on the streets.

Then, we hear about another (younger) boy who was bullied so mercilessly that he ended up taking his own life, an act that made the local news. Parents talk about how cruel kids can be, but that officials deny there’s any real problem to be addressed in any meaningful way. Meanwhile, Tyler describes being routinely attacked in the bus, but when his mother complains to an official, she’s told there’s no problem whatsoever with those kids.

Finally, parents everywhere start to rally for the cause of protecting kids against bullying.

Relatedly, I sometimes wonder what my school life would’ve been like if I’d been intellectual, reclusive, friendless, passive, oddball, and gay. Then I realize I don’t actually want to think about it.

(via Joe. My. God.)

Tags: