Saturday, April 24, 2010

Don’t attack a comrade just because they have a sense of perspective

| »
The Stupid, It Burns

So, I assume you know the basics of what promises to be the greatest mammary-related event of the year (or, at least, the following week), so I’ll skip the introductory details. Naturally, people’s reaction towards Jen, particularly from feminists, is not solely comprised of unabashed approval; several have come out against her silly little joke-turned-explosive Internet phenomenon on various grounds. (Though, as usual, you can safely expect the majority – though not all – of them is due to a mere lack of a sense of humor.) However, some reactions really are just plain stupid, and I just had to laugh as I came across this absurd take from Jill at I Blame the Patriarchy:

Says McCreight, wishing to deflect feminist fury:

“I just want to apologize if this comes off as demeaning toward women. To be honest, it started as silly joke that I hurriedly fired off since I was about to miss the beginning of House. I never thought it would get the attention it did. If I would have known, I would have spent more time being careful about my wording.”

We’ve all said stupid things on the Internet. But when you say stupid things about encouraging women to protest oppression by capitulating to Dude Nation’s fondest desire, and then blame it on a compulsion to watch a stupid misogynist TV show, all I can say is, ewww.

I think my brain just melted.

First, nothing about what Jen wrote was in any way “stupid”. Words that might fit include “silly”, “facetious”, “light-hearted” “funny”, and perhaps even “childish”, but her main (if not sole) point – that such ridiculous, stupid (there’s a good use for that word) and insulting remarks as those by the Islamic cleric are best dealt with by employing snark and mockery – is absolutely sound. Failing to see this indicates either a lack of a sense of humor, or a deep-seated issue with the fact that some women are casual and open regarding their bodies and breasts. Boob jokes may at times be a form of humor ranking just above the toilet variety in terms of sophistication, but in this case, it was simply perfect.

However, the second part of Jill’s claim above, the insinuation that Jen is really just caving in to “Dude Nation” (God, I do so hate those who coin idiotic terms such as that) in showing her cleavage is just abysmally stupid. Submitting to the perceived patriarchy would have meant Jen just sitting down and not saying or doing a damn thing in response to the cleric’s remarks. That she is doing something about it – particularly, that she’s spawned (even if inadvertently) such a massive and international movement focusing on the decidedly non-earthquake-triggering features of the female anatomy – may in reality be the ultimate feminist response. Quite simply, what this is saying is: “Cleric, you are an idiot, and in showing cleavage (and getting others to do the same), I not only demonstrate how idiotic and wrong you are, but I am also mocking you, your absurd beliefs and your mindset and culture’s absolutely anti-feminist views.”

… I suppose I ought to comment on Jill’s derisory mention of House as somehow being “stupid” and “misogynistic”, but I feel that her complete absurdity in making such hilariously stupid claims about a show that she so obviously hasn’t seen more than one episode of (if not even less), is evident enough in itself.

And, of course, why not finish with some completely unfounded (and, might I add, demonstrably false) assumptions about Jen’s person?:

I conclude that McCreight omitted, in her haste to watch the beginning of, perhaps, “American Idol,” to proof-read her statement, forgetting to change the spine-wrenching “if I would have known” to the economical and correct “had I known.”

Double-ewww.

If Jen’s best response to an irrational Islamic cleric declaring that immodest women are the cause for earthquakes is to show the most cleavage possible, then my best response to Jill’s festering idiocy in accusing Jen of being an juvenile, un-feminist little girl would be, I suppose, to moon her. But, I have a better alternative: Jill is an irrational twit unworthy of criticizing other feminists for their own actions and views.

(via @jennifurret)