Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Random thoughts on life and meaning

| »
Random

Before I head off to bed, I wish to share this remarkable speech of sorts from a friend of mine who is wise beyond his years:

Life is a giant ocean; we are forever swimming in it.
When storms come, tides rise, threatening to drown us with huge swells.
After the storms pass, everything is calm again and life is just fine.
Nothing stays fucked up forever.
So in the perpetual making of life:
We are faced by storms, and we are faced by pacified seas in a pattern of trials.
Those who survive feel fractured, but they are stronger when they know the meaning behind certain trials.
Whoever was a kid and asked parents for advice, but ignored the advice knows what I mean.
They have been on the sea and can predict its movements;
But we young of love and passion, we cannot see the horrors and storms until they threaten to wreck us.
I don’t know what to say, but I feel I should say this:
If life were easy, it would have no point; if life were hard, it would have no point.
We have fortune and failure, chance and disaster. This is the purpose;
And perhaps the ultimate purpose of life and all of mankind is to know ourselves.

I know it’s a little uncharacteristic for this blog – okay, it’s about as characteristic to this blog as Creationism is to Pharyngula – but then, if it’s interesting and thought-provoking to me, I assume it shall be for others as well, which makes it worth posting. This is pretty much exactly what I believe in; life is but a series of waves coming at you, followed by moments (of varying length) of respite. All you can do is lower your head and brace for the waves and let them wash and break over you, then lift your head up once it’s passed.