Thursday, March 25, 2010

And now I love him even more

| »
James Cameron
I like how your mind works

As if the facts that he’s a master movie-maker who’s behind some of of the best (and some of my favorite) films of all time (Aliens, Terminator, Titanic, Avatar, etc.), a complete science geek, a fearlessly rational individual and an obsessive perfectionist weren’t enough, James Cameron’s recent well-placed vitriol against the likes of Glenn Beck and climate change denialists pretty much mean I have to love the guy. But, as PZ just pointed out, add the fact that he’s also a celebrity atheist who has this to say on the matter:

And he's an atheist, who decided agnosticism was "cowardly atheism." When the other kids read the Lord's Prayer in school, Cameron decided it was a "tribal chant" and decided not to do it." - Source

The complete quote from his biography "The Futurist" by Rebecca Meegan (Chapter 1 Page 8 Hardcover edition) says: "I've sworn off agnosticism, which I now call cowardly atheism. I've come to the position that in the complete absence of any supporting data whatsover for the persistence of the individual in some spiritual form, it is necessary to operate under the provisional conclusion that there is no afterlife and then be ready to amend that if I find out otherwise."

… and I may as well just marry him.

(via Pharyngula)