Sunday, February 07, 2010

Jimmy Kimmel’s response to the Tim Tebow anti-abortion Superbowl ad

| »

As you’ll no doubt be aware, celebrity footballer Tim Tebow and evangelical group Focus on the Family have been cleared by CBS to run a thinly veiled anti-abortion ad during the Superbowl later today. (Note that I had to ask my father when the Superbowl took place before writing this, which shows you approximately how much I don’t care for the ruddy thing.) Nobody’s seen the advert yet, but according to preliminary reports, it will feature Tebow and his mother talking about the strength of the family and about how his mother, when faced with complications during pregnancy, chose not to abort and kept the fetus, who eventually became the “heroic” Florida Gators quarterback. (Though, I heard that, in fact, Mommy Tebow may not even have had a choice and couldn’t terminate the pregnancy, in which case the whole story would become moot, anyway. But, I couldn’t confirm this.)

We don’t know exactly what’s gonna show during the ad (and chances are I won’t see it as my intention of sitting through the Superbowl is equal to my intent of staring at the Sun until my eyes melt in my head), but it definitely doesn’t sound pleasant at the moment. The effectiveness of such an ad is being disputed amongst both sides – after all, CBS wouldn’t allow anything overtly provocative to air on national television, I’m sure – but it still tastes sour that there isn’t any riposte from the pro-choice camp.

However, we may not need one, if Jimmy Kimmel and NBC get their way. Here’s their response:

To be fair, people could do worse than turn out like Tim Tebow.

They could suck at football, for one thing.

(via Friendly Atheist)