Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Stupid Quote(s) of the Day: Comfort on media and conscience

| »
The Stupid, it Burns

I’m bored and I felt like mentioning two dumb quotes from Ray Comfort’s latest post. So, here you go.

The image of Tiger Woods had been portrayed for years as one of squeaky clean wholesomeness. It was a media image. Clean sells.

In which puritan, unspoiled universe does Comfort live in to believe that “clean sells”? If there’s one thing the media hates reporting on, it’s clean, unsoiled celebrities. They’re boring. They have no dirty little secrets or haughty scandals to shock people with. (I could also argue that such celebrities arguably don’t exist, but that’s besides the point.) It’s drama that makes the media tick, not cleanliness. Hence why you hear rather more often of how one famous dude went to a strip bar and a famous gal broke up with her equally-famous boyfriend all the time – or why the media’s been jizzing all over the Tiger Woods scandal despite it being completely and utterly irrelevant to anyone else’s lives (in addition to being none of their damned business).

Quote numéro deux, if you will …

There is no such thing as a morally clean human being. If you disagree, name one person (other than yourself) who is morally perfect.

Non sequitur. One doesn’t have to be morally perfect to be morally clean. Well, in Comfort’s worldview of “everyone is a filthy sinner as decreed by God”, perhaps, but not in reality. Being morally clean simply means you have nothing weighing on your conscience, that you don’t have any real regrets, that you aren’t haunted by choices you made or things you did (or didn’t do). For example, I can safely and honestly say that I consider myself to be morally clean. Not “perfect”, no – I’ve done (and do) my share of things that others (such as the law … *ahem*) would consider “wrong” – but I did (and do) them all in good conscience, and never to harm anyone or infringe upon their rights. I have nothing to be sorry about and have no real regrets. (None about anything that’s in my power to change, anyway.)