Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Smart and brave student vs. ignorant, jackass principal

| »

It’s no secret that I am no fan of the Pledge of Allegiance. If anything, it’s probably the largest violation of the Establishment Clause currently permitted in schools across America, yet support for it is so overwhelming that the very idea of removing it, or even altering it in any way, is treated as blasphemy. If I were an American student today, I would very likely ignore the entire drivel and just stay seated until it was over.

However, this may turn out to be a bad idea, considering what is happening in the case of Daniel Royston, a High School student from Wasilla, Alaska. It all began when he heard about Will Phillips, the exceptionally courageous and righteous (not self-righteous) 10-year-old fifth-grader who steadfastly refuses to stand during the Pledge of Allegiance because he argues that “[he] really [doesn’t] feel that there’s currently liberty and justice for all” when it comes to LGBT rights such as gay marriage. Daniel left a comment on Friendly Atheist with his daring decision:

I am a High School student in Alaska. For years, I have stood up, but not recited the pledge. My reasons being some quite similar to Will Phillips’. When asked why I don’t recite the pledge, I tell them. I’ve always stood during the pledge, just because that’s what I was raised to do. Never once did I consider sitting down for the pledge, and never once did I consider the fact that people who couldn’t see my mouth still saw me reciting the Pledge of Allegiance.

However, that will be the last time. This kid has inspired me to join the group and be the first that I’ve seen at my High School (and even in all of my years of schooling) to refuse to stand during the Pledge of Allegiance. I’ve researched, and have cited a few Alaska State Statutes in a notebook, to reference to in case that I am confronted by a teacher.

I had to underline that above bit – it is exactly why I believe at least 50%, if not even much more, of students in American schools agree to recite the Pledge every morning: because they’re taught to. Not because they truly believe in it or believe that reciting it is the right thing to do.

On to Daniel’s bold resolution. He effectively chose to stay seated and silent during the pledge, as his fundamental rights allow him to. How did it go?

You can imagine. Here is the full eMail he sent to Hemant Mehta (with original emphasis).

Thursday was the first day that I decided not to stand for the Pledge of Allegiance. That first day, no one noticed. I figured that was okay; as long as no one said anything, I wouldn’t have any trouble with my decision. On the second day, however, the teacher for that class told me after the Pledge that I had to at least stand. When I went to talk to her about it (respectfully), before I had a chance to say anything, she told me to go down and talk to my principal, because that’s what he told her to tell students.

Alaska Statute 14.03.130 states the following:

(a) United States and Alaska flags shall be displayed upon or near each principal school building during school hours and at other times the governing body considers proper. The governing body shall require that the pledge of allegiance be recited regularly, as determined by the governing body. A person may recite the following salute to the flag of the United States or maintain a respectful silence: “I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.”

(b) A school district shall inform all affected persons at the school of their right not to participate in the pledge of allegiance. The exercise of the right not to participate in the pledge of allegiance may not be used to evaluate a student or employee or for any other purpose.

Now clearly, that’s not what had been going on. Students were being told that they had to participate by “at least standing.” I took my teacher up on her request and talked to my principal in his office. When I started to explain what had happened, he cut me off. He started to lecture me about my decision. He said that we didn’t need to talk about what “our right is,” but rather “what is right.” He said that standing for the Pledge showed respect to this country and the people that have died for our freedom. I told the principal that I was expressing my “freedom” by choosing not to stand. I told him that I did not want to be associated with the Pledge of Allegiance and standing was associating myself with it.

The principal then asked if I had talked to my parents about it. I told him that, yes, I had informed my mom (the parent I live with) that I had made this decision. He then called my mom, and put her on speakerphone. Before the call, I asked him to make sure to tell my mom that I’m not in trouble, and that I came to his office voluntarily. He did no such thing. The principal started talking to my mom like I was called down to his office, and that I was in trouble. He didn’t say those things, but the school district has a code they follow when calling parents because of disciplinary problems, and he was following it word-by-word.

During the conversation, my mom stated that it was her opinion that I should stand for the Pledge. The principal used that to say that, because my mother told me to (which she did not), I have to stand. I told him that this violated my beliefs, both political and religious, and he just cut me off to say that my mom told me to, so I have to.

One of the most shocking parts of the conversation was when he started talking about me. Specifically and personally, me. He said that he’s seen a lot of kids with a lot of talent, and that I was one of them. He said that he really didn’t want to see me go down a path where I use my skills for unproductive reasons, and that he wanted to see me make it through high school. I asked if my beliefs would restrict me from graduating. He then said, “Well, I don’t know. It’s possible.” I told him that I had formed my beliefs, and that I found standing for the Pledge of Allegiance to be offensive. He asked if my beliefs really found standing for the Pledge offensive. When I replied “yes,” he, without pause, said, “I don’t buy that.” He just said that he didn’t think I really had those beliefs. I kid you not, that’s what he said.

He went on, trying to persuade me that having the beliefs I have could bring me down at this school, that having these beliefs were wrong. When he said, “I really want to see you use the skills and intelligence that you have for good.” I said “And I am,” to which he replied, “Don’t argue with me.”

He concluded the meeting stating that because my mom told me to stand (again, she didn’t), I had to stand. When I asked “So, if I have my mom sign a note saying that I’m authorized to exercise my freedom of speech and of religion, then I can exercise my right to not participate?” He then said “We follow board policy” and sent me out of his office.

Now, I understand that my parents do have the right to make me stand, because I am, by law, a minor. However, I don’t think that that is the decision my parents will make. Although they don’t agree with my beliefs most of the time, they at least respect my views to a degree. The principal, however, did not respect my views even the slightest bit. I will be talked to and lectured by both parties, but my views stay, and I will not back down.

Can you give me any advice to deal with the school district on this incident? If my parents sign that childish note saying that yes, I can exercise my rights, I am more than willing to elevate this. I don’t know how far I’ll have to go to simply be able to express my right to not participate in the Pledge of Allegiance, the biggest, most blatant violation of the Separation of church and state in America today.

[My emphasis]

Not only is this principal a complete and reprehensible douchebag with regards to how he treated this kid (who is obviously far more knowledgeable and intelligent than he is), he is also incredibly ignorant. He clearly has no idea what the hell he’s talking about, and is instead relying on intimidation and a verbal show of force, bordering on (if not directly qualifiable as) abuse, to try and quell Daniel’s well-reasoned and respectful arguments and to get him to sit down and shut up. Any principal with this sort of attitude needs to be disciplined and fired, instantly.

I mean, seriously. Threatening to prevent this kid from graduating solely because he stands up for what he believes? That has got to be a new low.

Unfortunately, the battle has sort of been lost for Daniel already; an update from Hemant informs us that Daniel did indeed speak with his parents, who then decided that he should stand up during the Pledge, despite this violating what he believes and feels is right. Daniel has resignedly accepted this and will no longer try and defy the Pledge. This is shameful, as far as parenting goes. If I had a child whose beliefs I strongly disagreed with, I would still be supportive of what he/she felt was right. That is what a parent should do: show their kids that following their hearts and doing what they feel is right is as important as anything else in life.

Sadly, Daniel is not the first, and certainly not the last, of students who encounter problems and obstacles from school administrators (and/or their parents) when choosing not to follow the Pledge of Allegiance, but he, along with fifth-grader Will Phillips, are certainly a new breed of young people who recognize that the Pledge is wrong and ought not to be followed. They dare to defy the establishment and conventional norms in favor of what they know and feel is right, and they deserve much more respect than they get. Although Daniel will have to take his licks for now, I predict the numbers of students standing up to the Pledge (by sitting down, ironically enough) will only increase as time goes by – and, with the stories of Will and Daniel spreading across the media and blogosphere, quite rapidly at that.