Thursday, November 26, 2009

Beck & co. show their true spirit of patriotism

| »

To be a patriot doesn’t simply signify being loyal to your country’s people and government, to fight for civil rights and freedoms, and to ensure justice for all of your own. You also have to stand up for, and fight for, the very ideals and principles upon which your country was founded. For the United States, these ideals were those such as fairness, tolerance and justice in the eyes of the law for one and all. And so, it is thus in this respect that one can definitely state that Glenn Beck and folks like him are most assuredly unpatriotic, if their idea of “justice” is to … court-martial American soldiers for not shooting captured terrorists in the head.

[Referring to how a captured terrorist was given a “fat lip” by one of the soldiers who captured him]

BECK: ‘I’m disappointed that all three of them didn’t punch him in the face. I’m disappointed they didn’t do more than that.’

CREW: ‘I would be – I would be willing to court-martial them for not doing more.’

BECK: ‘They must be being court-martialed for not shooting him in the head. That’s exactly what our troops need to do: shoot them in the head.’

[…]

BECK: ‘I have news for ya. If I was the – if I were the President; if this was the culture that I was living in, that would be my directive: shoot them in the head.’

Which is exactly why cranks like Glenn Beck will never be more than simple-minded, hate-filled, irrational and demagogic insta-pundits.

(via @todayspolitics)
Technorati tags: · · · · ·