Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Calculating the mathematical probability of God's existence

| »

This is actually rather neat. Blackblade has pulled together a little equation of sorts (or whatever the proper word is; mathematical terminology is not one of my strong points) to calculate how likely it is that God exists, from his agnostic point of view.

Factor

Likelihood

Weighting

Historical and documentary evidence

70%

10%

Objective, reproducible evidence

0%

90%

Belief

80%

5%

Logical Derivation

50%

5%

Moral Absolutism/Relativism (ethics vs ethos)

5%

80%

Lack of any directly observed interaction

0%

70%

18%

Interesting. I'll admit I don't know what the bugger he means by "logical derivation", but otherwise, quite an accurate scale. Although, the end result – "18%" (17.5% to be exact) – still seems a bit high. I'd settle it somewhere in the 5-10%, and no more. But that's just me.

(via Vox Popoli)

Technorati tags: · · · ·